I was innocently perusing Goodreads the other day, adding things to my shelves when I noticed something alarming. I looked at my TBR pile shelf and… well let me show you:
And this is where I specify that these are books I actually own. It’s not the Goodreads “To Read” shelf where I add every book I’m slightly interested in. These books are physically sitting on my shelf or are on my kindle, waiting for me… forever waiting.
It’s quite a large pile. Too large. Unjustifiably large and I’ve just bought another four books despite the fact the shelf is literally overflowing and I had to put my hardcovers elsewhere!
As a uni student at rotations all day, and with minimal time to read, this number is really not acceptable. At all. There is no way I could get this halved by the end of the year, especially if I buy books at the same rate, or faster, than I read them.
Because of this, I’ve decided an intervention is in order. Once again I am creating a self imposed book buying and requesting ban because that TBR is just ridiculous.
- No requesting books from publishers
- No buying books
- No going on Edelweiss or Netgalley unless I’m submitting a review
- Only audiobooks may be borrowed from the library
- For every 20 books I read, I can buy or request 1 (ONLY ONE) new book
The exclusions to the rules:
- I can buy the new releases by my auto-buy authors
- I can buy the next book in a series I already own (IF I own all the currently released books)
- Gifts for friends
- Giveaways may be entered (as they are free and I don’t win that many)
With any luck, I hope to see that TBR Pile shelf number down by 20-50 books by the end of the year. More will be a miracle!